The COVID-19 virus has impacted every industry, including real estate. Home sellers and potential home buyers may find themselves feeling unsure about the future, but thankfully there are things you can do to help you move forward in the process while staying safe and healthy.
Here at Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Steinborn & Associates, we want to help ease your fears and answer your questions about safely selling your home during the COVID-19 crisis.
Can I still show my home?
Yes, the State of New Mexico has deemed real estate an essential industry, meaning that our offices can remain open. We are committed to limiting the number of individuals in the workplace, following stringent cleaning protocol, and assigning staff to work remotely. There are many reasons people still need to buy a home during this time, like relocating or starting a new job, so potential buyers may still view homes in person.
Whatever their needs are, we will help buyers find the right home by using our years of experience and the most extensive listings in southern New Mexico.
We are taking extra precautions to make sure our REALTORS and staff follow current CDC recommendations for staying safe and healthy.
How can I keep my home safe?
We realize that some home sellers may be concerned about showing their homes during this time, but we work to insure your home will be shown as safely as possible.
Talk openly and honestly with your REALTOR about your concerns and how to develop a game plan. Everyone wants to stay safe during this time, so communicate your needs clearly and your REALTOR will help you prepare for a safe home showing.
Here are some ways to get ready for a home showing during COVID-19:
- Consider how remote work or homeschooling may affect your availability to show your home. Create a backup plan for leaving your house during a showing. If you have specific times that you are unable to show your home due to work, tell your REALTOR ahead of time.
- In preparation for the home showing, place hand sanitizer and wipes at the front door.
- Stage your home with cupboards, doors, and closets open to eliminate the need for people to touch handles and doors.
- Work with your REALTOR to post a message to buyers asking them to limit or eliminate touching surfaces, to use wipes when turning on lights and opening doors, and to remove footwear before coming into the house.
- You can request that only key decision-makers attend the showing, not family and friends who simply want to see the house.
What if I don’t want to show my home in person?
Showing your home during this time is a personal decision that only you can make. If you feel the need to postpone home showings until New Mexico’s “Stay at Home” instruction is lifted, talk to your REALTOR.
If you decide to not show your home in-person, you can still show it using our digital marketing technology. We can provide 3D virtual tours, video tours, and FaceTime Live open houses to prospective home buyers so that the home can be seen virtually instead of in person. These options will help buyers get a feel for your home and safely see the features while limiting exposure for all the parties.
Plan for your future with BHGRE Steinborn & Associates
At Steinborn, we’re committed to you during this time. If you decide to keep showing your home, we will take every step possible to help sell your house while keeping your home and family safe. If you decide to temporarily suspend showing your home, we will work with you to create a timeline you’re comfortable with to begin showing again.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and stay home.